An easy way to make sushi at home
- 1 cup white rice (sushi rice if you can get it)
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4-6 sheets nori (dried seaweed)
- 1 cup chopped veggies (carrot, cucumber, red pepper, avocado)
- Soy sauce, pickled ginger and wasabi if desired
- Start by preparing your rice. Rinse rice until your water runs clear. This helps eliminate excess starch. Utilize a rice cooker if you have on and are familiar with its setting. If you don’t have one follow these instructions
Bring 2 cups water to a bowl and add in your rice. Let simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, add your vinegar, sugar and salt to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat stirring occasionally until all the sugar and salt dissolve completely. Place in a container and refrigerate until the rice is ready.
- Once the rice is done take it off the heat add the cooled vinegar mixture and stir until combined. It will appear wet but will dry when stirred gently.
- Prep the vegetables by chopping them into thin pieces. Keep in mind thinner pieces will be easier to roll and will be easier to eat when cut into appropriate pieces.
- When the rice is cooked and dry and your vegetables are all cut its time to make your sushi roll.
- Lay out a towel with a thin layer of plastic wrap on top of the towel
- Then place a strip of nori (dried seaweed) on top of the plastic wrap
- Using a little water get the tip of your finger wet to avoid the rice sticking to your hand, place a thin layer of rice all over the nori, making sure it’s not too thick to avoid your roll being all rice and no filling.
- Make a small channel in the rice and fill with your preferred combination of vegetables at the bottom 3/4 of the rice closest to you.
- Start to roll the nori and rice over with your fingers, and once the veggies are covered used the plastic wrap and towel to finish molding the roll until it’s all the way rolled up.
- Slice with a sharp knife and set aside.
- Serve immediately with pickled ginger, soy sauce and wasabi.